Monday 2 March 2015

Oh school!

I am actually quite fortunate in that I went to two "quite good"  secondary schools.
When we moved to Australia I went to Whyalla Technical High School
But in those days country schools had no conception that  "country students" might do more than work on the land, or at the steelworks, or in the shipyard.
Let's face it ...this was never going to be my fate!
I came from England with two other languages int ow....French and German....but could only pursue French.
The Science and Maths was Ok and the English was OK.  Music was virtually non-existent,  as a mediocre cellist there was no-one who could take me to the next step. As a quite reasonable singer, there was no one to train my voice.
I didn't even really realise this was happening....I was too busy learning how to smoke!
I lament these things. But life's like that
Whitehaven Grammar School was a classic school of the English Grammar School tradition.
My French and German would have been cemented and I would probably have got a grounding in Russian.
I learnt only later in  life that I have  a bit of flair for languages.
I can now struggle by in Hebrew, NT Greek ...and my German and French are still OK.
I lament the lack of Russian!
Soooooo....today, as you do,
I have had a little contact on Facebook with former school contacts.
I remember that  I played the Cello in the orchestra for Trial by Jury in 1967, that I was a policeman & a pirate of Penzance. That I had been H. Higgins in Pygmalion along with Lynn Breuer (formerly Raymond...and speaker of the Legislative Assembly....who was much better than me !) That I had been a Duke both in Merchant of Venice,  and in Twelfth Night. That I had conducted  B.Britten's Let's Make an Opera!.....so I can't complain.
Just sort of wish I'd known then what I know now!


No comments: