Saturday 16 December 2017

Faintly Bemused

It has now been over a week since the Federal Parliament passed legislation to allow marriage equality. I have watched local papers for the tedious flow of letters that might have followed.
But curiously there have been none.
What! The skies have not fallen in.
In fact, it all seems to be a bit ho-hum.
Exactly what we all predicted.
We have spent over a  100 million pursuing a questionnaire no one wanted, which  exaggerated popular fears and which told us what we all already knew.

I am personally glad, as a priest-religious celebrant that we have taken this step.
I doubt,  that I as a priest of the Anglican Church, under the rules of our organisation will live to see a marriage between two men or two women, or  intersex men and/or women in one of our 'hallowed precincts'. While I am sad about that I do get it.
And, as I choose to remain an Anglican, I endure that sadness.
Sorry because I think we can do better, as our Scottish, New Zealand, American & Canadian sisters and brothers have done and will do.

Meanwhile I am 'bemused' and totally GLAD that Australia has so embraced Marriage Equality that it is a non-issue

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say I struggle with the prospect that the “rules” will help to perpetuate the inequality. I went to a service today, where anyone celebrating an anniversary or birthday were called to the front of the congregation and were “interviewed” by the priest about their marriage/love. The publeic celebration of their love was touching but I couldn’t help but feel desperately sad for those that could not participate. Inclusivity and the real focus on love for all is what made me feel relatively comfortable coming to services. I did not feel comfortable today. Gisela